Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day 18 - Berchtesgaden


After a good nights rest in the Alpine air we're ready for a day of touring. Today we plan to visit the Eagle's Nest and the salt mines. We stop at the Berchtesgaden National Parks office and we're encouraged to visit the Eagle's Nest first because poor visibility is predicted for later in the day. This is the first cloudy weather we've had during the three weeks we've been on the road.

Tony drives the windy road up to the Eagle's Nest parking lot. I visited this site 14 years ago and things have really changed. There used to be specially designed bus that climbed the steep road to the Eagle's Nest elevator. But now there's a large ticket/souvenier center and dozen's of busses waiting to carry visiters up to the top. So we purchase our tickets for the bus ride and join the que.

The bus ride up is as breathtaking as I remember. We can see the entire Koningsee valley and even the city of Salzburg in the distance. Once at the top we enter the tunnel to the bronze elevator that will carry up to the top. The sky's are cooperating. Tony & I walk behind the Kehlsteinhaus and take in the views. I venture out to the end while Tony waits at a point he feels comfortable at. We then walk out to the other end. The path is quite rough and narrow so Tony finds a bench to wait for me while I climb up to the memorial cross. There's snow on part of the path and I decide not to go beyond that. I don't trust my footing and I don't want to be falling among the rocks. But the view, oh the view is just beautiful.

Back at the parking lot we tour the Documentation Center, something new since my last visit. And finally get to the bunkers. Again, amazing. There is an entire city built into the mountainside, and tunnels connecting many of the compound buildings, of which none remain today.

It's time to head back to Berchtesgaden and tour the salt mines. Good idea 'cause it's beginning to rain. So we head to the Salzburgwerk visitors center, doan our miner's overalls and board the monotrain to enter the mine. The tour is in German (WHAT??) so the english speakers are directed to the side to listen to an english recording. The chamber is huge and we need to get to the next level below. This is done by sliding down a wooden rail. What fun. As the tour continues we board a barge that floats across a salt lake. To harvest the salt the mines are flooded and the salt brine extracted. Then one more slide down to a lower level. Finally we board a funicular that carries us back to the top where we reboard the monotrain that returns us to the visitors center.

It's getting late and we need to find a place to stay so we head into Salzburg and find a great little B&B with internet connection. It's only 4 pm so we head into Salzburg and walk the streets of the old town. As we pass through the Residence Plaza I spot an artist I purchased a picture from 14 years ago. I stopped to talk to him, told him my story and snapped a picture. I told him neither of us have changed. He agreed. I'll have to compare the pics when I get home.

Back to the hotel for a little R&R. Tomorrow we head to Neuschwanstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment